The Pearland Police Department’s Notice to prospective applicants
Changes have been made to the physical agility test. These changes include the separation of the six-foot wall from the obstacle course, featuring the wall as a separate event, and the redesign of obstacle course to simulate a foot pursuit, featuring running jumps and barricades.
Applicants must pass all phases of a physical agility test before a background investigation is conducted.
The test is designed to evaluate the applicant’s ability to perform some of the most common physical demands of a police officer’s duties that require a degree of strength, endurance, and agility. Ample time is allotted to all applicants to “warm up” prior to testing, and there is a minimum two (2) minute rest period between events.
Additional changes to the physical agility test include the following:
1) Six-foot wall: Simulation of crossing a 6’ privacy fence. Applicant will be required to cross over a six-foot wall. Qualifying time: Twenty (20) seconds.
2) Obstacle Course: Simulation of foot pursuit/reaching a person in danger. There will be an 800 foot course, with applicant being required to make a 5'3" running jump, and pass over two 3'6" barricades. Qualifying Maximum Time: 60 seconds.
3) Body Transport: Simulation of activity necessary to move an unconscious person to a place of safety. Required to move a life size “dummy” of approximately one hundred seventy (170) pounds in weight, a distance of seventy-five (75) feet. Qualifying Maximum Time: Thirty (30) seconds.
4) Vehicle Push: Test ability to bodily move a disabled vehicle from a traffic lane. Push a mid-sized motor vehicle a distance of thirty (30) feet. Qualifying Maximum Time: Twenty (20) seconds.
5) Stairway Run: Test physical ability to transverse a stairway, ascent and descend a flight of stairs (approx. 20 steps), a total of three (3) times. Qualifying Maximum Time: Thirty (30) seconds.
6) Quarter Mile Run: Simulation of a long distance foot pursuit. Run one quarter (1/4) mile including turns. Qualifying Maximum Time: Two (2) minutes